Did you get a chance to check out our last blog yet? If you did, then you already know about some of the most common sewing terms out there. It may seem like all you need is your Janome sewing machine and you will be good to go, but there are a few other terms that you should know before you start sewing:
- Sewing foot- A sewing foot, sometimes called a presser foot, is an attachment on your sewing machine that holds your fabric flat, while you feed it through the machine.
- Clipping- Clipping is when you cut the seam allowance of your project, perpendicular to your seam, but not […]
Sewing is so much fun, but when you are just starting out it can be very intimidating. Not only do you have to master new techniques, learn about your new sewing machine that you got on sale, and figure out how to read patterns, but you also have to learn a whole new set of terms that can feel pretty foreign if you aren’t used to them. Sew Vac Direct is here to save the day! We have come up with this beginner’s guide to common sewing terms:
- Applique- When you applique something, you are attaching a smaller piece of fabric to a larger one. This can be done […]
If you’ve had a chance to read our last blog, then you already know a few things about sewing with knits. To recap, we talked about how you should adjust the settings on your cheap sewing machine for a zig-zag stitch, and how to pre-shrink your fabric. The following is a list of a few more helpful tips for sewing with knits:
- Pay attention to the direction of the stretch- Before you start cutting out your pattern, it is important to double check the direction of your fabric’s stretch. It may help to know that most knits have a two-way stretch, which means that they stretch width-wise. Keep […]
Did you get a chance to read our last blog yet? If you did, then you already know a couple of things about sewing with knits! To recap, we talked about how to pick the right fabric for your project and what kinds of special tools you will need to get the job done. Now that you have your sewing machine table stocked with everything you need, we can go over a few more tips on sewing with knits:
- Get your Janome sewing machine set up for a zig-zag stitch- The ideal stitch for knits is a zig-zag stitch, because you want the stitch to be able to […]
Knits have been taking the sewing world by storm for quite a while now. They are light, comfortable, and so easy to take care of, but if you have never worked with them before, they can be intimidating. Sew Vac Direct is here to tell you that sewing with knits doesn’t have to be scary! When you pick the right knits, have the right tools, and know the right tips, it can be fun and fairly simple! Before you run out and grab your Janome sewing machine, read the following guide on how to sew with knits the right way:
- Get the right supplies- Utilizing a serger can make […]
We all would love to end up with picture perfect sewing projects, but that just isn’t always the case. When you sew with bulkier material, it is common to end up with bulky and unsightly seams. These seams prevent your ending project from looking smooth and professional. Luckily, Sew Vac Direct is here to help! So, before you pull your supplies out of yoursewing machine cabinet to work on your next project, keep the following tip in mind.
When you are working with thicker fabrics, always keep the excess seam allowance trimmed nicely. In other words, layer the width of the seam allowance after you have already sewn everything […]
Have you had a chance to read our last blog yet? We discussed a couple of the steps you should take before you start cleaning your sewing machine. We talked about what supplies you will need and how to prepare your sewing machine. The following is a list of the rest of the steps you will need to take to clean your cheap sewing machine:
- Start cleaning!- Once you’ve removed the flat bed attachment, you will see a great deal of lint and gunk! This is where your tweezers and brush will come in handy. You can use your small brush to wipe away a lot of […]
In our previous blog, we talked about how important it is to properly maintain your Janome sewing machine. We talked about covering it when it isn’t in use, changing your needles after around four hours of sewing, and threading your bobbin correctly. There is one more important step when it comes to keeping your cheap sewing machine in good working condition, cleaning! Cleaning is one of the best ways to keep you sewing machine working like new, but unfortunately, it get overlooked all too often. If you are looking for a little bit of guidance on how to properly clean your sewing machine, you’ve come to the […]
If you have ever had problems with your sewing machine not working correctly, then you know how frustrating they can be. Sewing machines are just like any other machine, and they require a certain amount of upkeep and maintenance. Luckily, if you take proper care of your Janome sewing machine, you can avoid many of the most common problems.
One of the easiest ways to keep your sewing machine clean is to cover it when it isn’t in use. By covering your sewing machine, you can keep grit, animal hair, dust, and lint out of it. You have a couple of options for covers. You could buy a ready-made […]