Although we all love to get creative and make our own garments, no one wants to end up with an outfit that looks overly homemade. At Sew Vac Direct, we not only offer a wide variety of quality sewing machines and supplies from top names like Jamome, but we also want to make sure that you are happy with the projects that you create! That is why our experts have come up with the following list of tips for sewing like a pro:
- Press often- Don’t iron your materials, instead press them. Fiber can actually get distorted when you iron, but by pressing often, you can end up with a professional, crisp seam.
- Pay attention to thread color- While you may not think that the thread color you use makes much of a difference, the closer you match it to your project, the better it will look in the end.
- Use a short stitch- Shorter stitches are much less likely to tear away, so keep your stitches short.
- Don’t forget to trim any loose threads- You aren’t likely to find loose threads hanging off of professionally sewn garments, so make sure that you always trim them away.
- Always finish your seams- It is tempting to call it good after your have sewn a seam, but your work isn’t done yet! When you finish your seams, you will not only get a more professional look, but you will also prevent raveling.
- Use a rotary cutter- Keep a sharp rotary cutter around, and you will soon marvel at how fast and precise you can cut out patterns!